Saturday, September 12, 2009

September 11, 2009

Yesterday was the 8th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in 2001. I did on several occasions pause and reflect on those occurrences throughout the day, and sincerely hope many folks that I know did the same.

However, in listening to talk radio as I often do, a young man who was a Junior in High School at the time talked about one of his memories. He was apparently going to school in NYC. During that day, one of his friends received a phone call from his dad. His dad was trapped in the upper end of one of the towers, and had no way to get out. He was calling his son, as he had the rest of his family, to say his final words. Wow, that gripped me. It really got to me. I was suddenly emotional with the thoughts of "what would I say" if I were in that place?

I spent a good while reflecting on THAT. Frankly, right up to writing this note.

I love my family! i wonder what I would say still. I do think I'd express the happiness that I've experienced with them. I would express the joy I've felt in loving my wife, and loving them, and seeing them grow up as they are. I would express my sadness at some of the things I'd done in the past, and missing out on things in the future. Things like: Growing old with Christie; Walking my girls down the aisle; witnessing them starting families of their own; cuddling with their children (my grandchildren); seeing their children come to a knowledge and acceptance of Christ.

I also thought I might mention the fact that (if possible) I'd watch them from Heaven. I'm not certain that that is scriptural, but it sounded good!

Now, I'm at the point where I believe Christie's been at for a long time...enjoying every millisecond of my life with my family. What does this mean? Does it mean awesome vacations and fun and games? Sure, that and more. Frankly, the day-to-day enjoyment will be more fulfilling in the long term. This I believe strongly. This is where I think my wife and daughters will drive the most memories about me.

I do think that 9/11 is a memory no American should forget. Ever. Is this a patriotic feeling? You bet! But, the bigger feeling is towards family. Does anyone believe that the folks that perished in the towers knew they would? I'm going to step out on a limb and say NO. So I suppose the lesson I'm trying to get myself (and perhaps others to, as well) to realize is that life here on this earth with those we love is nothing short of a gasp of breath. It's short. So, always be on the look-out for moments to cherish both the moment and those you are with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide your insight into the blog entry.