Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs

This book outlines what the author believes to be a profound portion of scripture that is very important to the relationship between a husband and his wife. That scripture is Ephesians 5:33:

However, each one of you must also love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband. (NIV)

You can see the correlation between the book title and this verse.

I happen to agree with the author, and it took this book to get me to focus on the correct reading of this scripture. The author brings to the fore the scriptures and enlightens the reader with wisdom about his personal experiences with his wife as well as experiences of those that have attended his conferences.

As I mentioned, I agree with his interpretation. However, I think the book is too long in that it is repetitive. I profoundly enjoy books that lead from one chapter to the next, and I believe that the author does a wonderful job with the lead-in at the end of every chapter, as well as between sections. But my statement regarding the repetitive nature is valid. While every chapter flows to the next, each chapter seemingly repeats portions of the previous chapters. Personally, I am not a reader that enjoys this style of writing. I get it the first time.

Let me be very explicit here. This is an wonderfully poignant topic, and is a must read by married couples, regardless of whether or not there are issues. I believe the author only has the best interest of married couples at heart!

Enjoy this book!!

1 comment:

  1. After reading this book I went through a relationship for dummies class that was based on these concepts and found it to be extremely helpful. However, without the on-board support of both spouses in a marital relationship, don't see a way it will work.
    My husband is a wonderful man who just deals with life in his own way and he wouldn't be caught dead trying to follow these ideas. He thinks they're silly girl things. I have to face the fact that he doesn't relate to this kind of thing - and he swears he's a Bible-believing Christian.

    ReplyDelete

Please provide your insight into the blog entry.