Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Shack

I have heard it said that this particular book is "life changing."

Initially, I thought this book was rather harmless in its approach. A family suffers a severe tragedy. While each tragedy is certainly hard to deal with when it's happening to you, it's not a unique occurrence. Not at all. Tragedy happens all the time to folks around the world.

This particular sort of tragedy is something my wife and I have dreaded during the early lives of our children. Now that they are older, our dread has lessened a bit, but now it's replaced by concern over their ongoing lives.

I digress...

I was okay with this book up until late in the chapter called "A Piece of (Pi)," that had the symbol rather than the letters. William Young lost me at that point His description of Jesus being unable to heal people without God's intervention is troubling. We all know that Jesus came to earth as a human. However, it is my belief that He was still God. Wholly God. If he was "just human," like you and me, in order to heal the sick and raise the dead, I believe Jesus would have had to pray prior to the healing and have the prayer answered. I believe that Jesus was God in human form without human limitations. He could have called legions of angels...

I'm a little further in the book now, and while nothing else has jumped out at me as of yet, I'm still stuck on Jesus and the completely human spot he occupies in this book. It's really making me not like this book.

What I'd like, if anyone DOES read this AND has SCRIPTURAL reference that outline his total humanity and lack of personal power, I'm open to being educated. However, at this point, don't read this book. I believe it's teaching (even though it's fictional) false doctrine. NONE of what I've read with respect to the interrelationship between the Trinity matches AT ALL how it's described in the book.

Almost done...I'm still concerned about the aspects of Jesus and His humanity as listed in the book compared to what's in the Bible. You know, I know most of this story takes place in a dream for Mack, but even so, I just can't deal with some of the aforementioned aspects of the story. Also, there's a part where Jesus is talking about folks loving Him from every system (Mormon, Buddhists, Muslims, etc)., and that He has no desire to make them Christians. The author is splitting hairs in that Christ doesn't want to "make" anyone a Christian. Nevertheless, there is only one True God, one True Savior, and one True Holy Ghost. These other religions do not pursue Christ without all the other baggage they have...we don't exist in a "Christ PLUS" world...

Finally finished...

Well, the story line is great: God's ability to lift us from our despair, despondency, etc. The actual story, however, leaves me wanting. I don't like the way the Trinity is portrayed. I especially don't like the way Jesus is "man-ified." Christ was wholly man and wholly God. His miracles were His; God didn't intervene on His behalf.

I just hope and pray that this book doesn't lead folks astray. If you have questions, the Bible is your absolute best reference... Remember, man is fallible and can get it wrong...VERY WRONG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide your insight into the blog entry.