Friday, April 24, 2009

How do you vote?

How do you vote? No, I'm not asking what sort of machine or paper is used in the process of voting, but rather what guides to your vote?

Personally, my beliefs guide me. I'm a Christian, pure and simple. I use the base of morals that have been instilled in me by the Almighty and His book, the Bible. There's a very short list of validation criteria for my vote regarding candidates:
  1. Does the party this person support issues that I don't support?
  2. Does this individual support issues that I don't support?
If the individual "survives" this extremely short list of questions ,then do they pass the following tests:
  1. Do they have a political history that I can review and deduce their stance on issues not addressed in the campaign?
  2. Do they have a political history that I can review and deduce their stance on issues addressed in the campaign?
  3. Do I feel they're trustworthy?
  4. Are they fiscally responsible?
  5. Do they have a realistic understanding of the real world, or are they ivory tower types?
I simply find it amazing and completely mystifying that folks voted as they did in the last election. I just cannot understand it. Granted, Senator McCain was not the optimal choice. I feel like Mitt Romney would have been a far better choice. Instead, the Republican party decided that the Senator from Arizona with a distinct center-left stance was best.

In talking with folks that voted for President Obama I find that they wanted a change. Or, perhaps that they'd get free college. Or perhaps they'd get something for "free." When pressed on the serious issues of the campaign (war, terrorists, financial issues, etc.), most if not all of these folks give me the deer in the headlights stare. They don't have an answer.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that most Americans base their votes on not much more than the color of the persons clothes and how well they speak. I'd much rather have a strong candidate that believes in "small voice/big stick," than one that can give great speeches to folks and then fall apart under pressure.

On another note, I don't in any way hope that President Obama fails. For him to fail could lead the country to fail. I do pray for him, daily. I pray that he will use wisdom in decision making, and that he will choose the proper course for this country.

Oh for this country to judge folks based upon the content of their character and not the color of their skin. What bliss that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide your insight into the blog entry.