Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sabbath - Dan B. Allender

I selected this book to read in the hopes that it would provide a means of understanding the biblical foundations for the Sabbath. I have always had an interest on what guidelines the Israelites were under for the day of rest. I have also had a growing feeling that I should begin practicing a day of Sabbath in my life to provide the rest my body and soul needs for continued existence.

I have to say that I was disappointed, given my hopes for the book as previously outlined. I got the distinct feeling that the author of this book, Dan Allender, interprets the Sabbath as a day of feasting, playing, and pretending. He talks at length about preparing wonderful meals to enjoy along with wine and other beverages, as well as playing. The pretending aspect was brought into the discussion as a means of starting the week off right by acting as if things were just fine, no issues to consider.

I find several times in Exodus commentary regarding the Sabbath as a day of rest. It does not sound like to me that feasting is part of the Sabbath. Perhaps I do not know all the iterations of the translation of the Hebrew word used here for rest, but I have to say that this book cuts across the grain with respect to the historical understanding of the Sabbath and rest.

I would not recommend this book due to my disappointment. I feel as if it does not do the understanding of Sabbath justice. Another consideration for me regarding a lack of recommendation is the language used as well as some references to sexual activities within the context of Sabbath. The language aspect left the distinct feeling that some words were used to impress rather than explain. Regarding the sexual references, it was unnecessary and added absolutely nothing to the overall story.

Overall, this book was very disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide your insight into the blog entry.