Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Grace of God – Andy Stanley

I chose this book, thinking it would be different that it was. Overall, it was a quick read, even though it took me about a month to finish. My strongest point against it is that it lacks any real depth. It seemed to be a book that could have (and perhaps should have) been much shorter.

It is also too lopsided with respect to grace. I fully understand the concept and criticality of grace vis-à-vis Christianity. But, that is not the only thing one has to realize when pondering their position with respect to God. I would say that coupled with grace is mercy. Most of the stores divulged within the book from the Bible could just as easily reflected God’s (or Jesus’) mercy on humanity in addition to, or in lieu of, grace.

After about 3 chapters (my “grace” period for books), I was wishing for a different book. I cannot enumerate the number of times I picked up the book, and put it back down NOT wanting to read it. I am sorry, but I would not spend your money on this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide your insight into the blog entry.