Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Sacred Meal - Nora Gallagher

This book was not what I expected it to be. When I received this book, I thought it would perhaps be a book about the process of taking communion, whether it be of my faith or others. I was actually very excited to read the book so that I may further understand the process of communion within another faith should it cover another faith.

Instead, this book is regarding communion as a metaphor for life, both past and present. The author speaks about her life experiences and relates that to taking communion, and how perhaps that process was played out in times of old.

While the book was not what I expected, there were portions that were great to read. However, I felt as if some aspects of her political views bled in to a few of the chapters, which I found to be slightly off topic. It was not enough to make me put the book down, but it was a "bump in the road," as it were.

Overall, if you are looking for an interesting book that will couple lifes (mis)adventures with the practice of communion (regardless of your faith), this is the book for you. It is a fairly quick read, and flows nicely. However, if you are looking for a book regarding the actual practice of communion and the liturgy along with it, this really is not the book for you. I would recommend it for folks of the former statement, but not the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide your insight into the blog entry.